Join Our Team
Women’s Business Center Director
West Company is seeking an individual with solid experience in helping small business owners launch and grow their businesses. Our mission is to help individuals succeed in business and provide guidance on their journey.
Position Summary: The Women’s Business Center (WBC) Director plans, organizes and conducts a comprehensive array of business counseling services, public training and education programs, and business support services to meet the needs of business owners, start-ups, and nascent women entrepreneurs. The WBC focuses on providing these services to women, communities that are socially and economically disadvantaged, and to other business owners who seek support.
Role of the Director: This position is a leadership role within a non-profit organization. The WBC Director is responsible for ensuring successful day-to-day operation of the program, reporting, and compliance requirements for the WBC. The WBC Director works cooperatively with the CEO and staff of West Company to support the strategic goals of West Company. The Director ensures that WBC program clients at various stages of business development receive the services and resources they need to help them succeed. The WBC Director will work closely with the CEO to engage in extensive community relations activities, including interacting with other service agency partners and community stakeholders. The WBC Director also engages a volunteer advisory board to help plan events, develop programs, and strengthen community support for West Company activities.
- Deliver one on one consulting on topics such as financial management, break-even analysis, obtaining financing, hiring employees, buying or selling a business, Business Plans, Licensing & Permits, Vision Planning & SWOT Analysis, and Regulations.
- Conducts Women’s Business Center workshops on topics such as Financial Capability, Leadership, Cash Flow Management, Marketing/Sales
- Provide effective business counseling/technical assistance to entrepreneurial clients.
- Prepare and submit program reports to the Office of Women’s Business Ownership
- Keep accurate and consistent records of client activity and compliance with grant funding requirements.
- Create effective women centric programs to meet the goals and mission of the Women’s Business Center and the West Company.
- Manage and coordinate services to fulfill contracts and agreements that provide services to Women’s Business Center.
- Strategic support of various women’s groups throughout the Mendocino County and surrounding areas.
- Build community partnerships – especially with private industry including banks, local businesses, chambers and service clubs, and the Women in Business Networks
- As needed, engage with local media, write and submit success stories, and advance the public image of and the Women’s Business Center under West Company.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with clients, staff and the general pub
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Knowledge of business concepts
- Adaptable and able to respond to changes in the working environment
- Willing to frequently travel throughout Mendocino County and occasionally outside the County.
- Possess a high level of technical/computer and social media skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to work independently, exercise good judgment, follow oral and written directions.
- Able to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with clients, staff and the general public.
- Experience managing a federal grant program or previous work with the SBA is a plus.
- Bachelor Degree in Business or similar field or 5 years equivalent experience.
- Two years’ experience working in or with small businesses, education or government agency a plus.
- Experience working in Microenterprise development or community based economic development.
- Spanish language skills are highly desirable.
Work Environment and Benefits: The work week is Monday – Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with occasional evening and early morning meetings. County wide travel is required along with video conferencing. The position is full-time salaried, exempt position and is not eligible for overtime. Benefits include 3 week paid vacation plus federal holidays, and health insurance.
SALARY RANGE: $48,000 – $53,000 annually
Reports directly to the CEO
West Company currently seeking
Business Advisors and an Administrative Coordinator
West Company, the host of the Mendocino Small Business Develop Center and Women’s Business Center, is seeking contractual business advisors. Successful applicants will be able to provide education about business start-up, planning, and financial management through one-to-one counseling sessions and workshops. Specific skills in digital marketing, QuickBooks, accessing capital, and/or financial analysis is a plus. Also previous business ownership and fluency is Spanish are a plus.
- Send cover letter and resume to: MaryAnne@WestCompany.org
- No phone call or walk ins
Administrator Coordinator/Client Services
West Company is seeking an individual who enjoys creating office efficiency, likes meeting new people and wants to help improve the economic vitality of Mendocino County. Our mission is to help individuals succeed in business and provide guidance on their journey.
- Provide support for Non Profit Grant Management and Financials:
- Process contractor invoices
- Provide ad hoc data queries from data base
- Process, monitor and code staff timesheets in accordance with grant compliance
- Monthly data coding of clients and contractors
- Oversee office management of West Company’s Fort Bragg Office:
- Maintain office supplies and petty cash fund
- Coordinate office equipment repairs and maintenance
- Answer phones and assist all “walk-ins”
- Provide office support to Executive Director
- Provide support for events, site visits, Board of Directors’ meetings
- Oversee orientation procedure for all new West Company clients on the coast:
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of client activity in SBDC Data base
- Coordinate and complete scheduling logistics for workshops and training
- Prepare workshop sign in sheets, handouts and survey forms
- Manage company events calendar
- Research projects as directed by staff
Additional duties may include:
- Reviewing and editing content for marketing and grant applications
- Uploading content to various online platforms
- Interact with local, state and government offices
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Desired skill QuickBooks.
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly.
- Ability to complete a task independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and manage a variety of tasks whiles managing and meeting deadlines and production schedules on numerous, concurrent projects.
- Ability to envision, establish and implement short and long term objectives of the organization.
- Ability to manage deadlines and production schedules on numerous, concurrent projects.
- Tracking Budget Expenses
- Creating and managing processes
- Database management
- Strong interest and/or background in community and economic development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including proper English usage, spelling and grammar
- Technologically savvy with a solid understanding of most communication programs such as Adobe, and PowerPoint, video conferencing
- Ability to maintain excellent relationships with clients, co-workers and the public.
- Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, reach with arms, talk or hear and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and may occasionally use ladders for a variety of tasks. The employee must frequently lift and/or move 10-20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move 25-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Some driving may be required.
$15.50 per hour
- Associates Degree or above
- Two years of previous office and/or non-profit experience
- Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No phone call or walk ins